Sunday, April 30, 2006

More about tagging

When I started blogging, I would embed the tags New Orleans and Katrina in the middle of every post. As I wanted to expand the tags I used, I found that increasingly cumbersome. So now I got to the little tag cheat cheat filed that sits on my desktop, paste them into the bottom of each post in HTML edit mode (I'm on Blogger), then go to compose mode and change the size to Tiny.

If you want a copy of the cheat sheet, email me and I'll send it along. (I haven't figured out how to trick Blogger into letting my post HTML without it interpretting the HTML). We can all build our readership by linking to specific posts (the so called "permanlink".) That's how Technorati ranks "authority", but the number of links. But a link to a home page gets counted once. Links to permanlinks are counted, and move your blog up the list of blogs by a particular tag

.I don't know the algorithm (and the system seems a little cranky; I think I should be ranked 11th), but it is another way to increase your readership if we all make a point of linking to specific posts (permanlinks) on each other's sites when we want to shout out what someone else has done, rather than just link to the home page. That's about all the Technorati tutorial I'm up to. In response to your private email, what we all need is somebody with serious blogging smarts to offer to help all of us toiling in the fields of typing (and that person ain't me).

       

No comments: